By Ted Belman
I loved Trump’s platform but now he is losing it.
1. Flynn was forced to resign and we don’t really know why. Rather than replace him with a like thinker, e.g. Frank Gaffney Jr, he was replaced with his opposite, Gen McMaster. Trump has never explained why the switch. Flynn saw Islam as the enemy and wanted to defeat ISIS and its ideology. McMaster believes Islam is a religion of peace and that ISIS is not Islamic.
2. Trump started out looking for alternate solutions to the Arab Israeli conflict and allowing Israel to build. In pursuit of same he announced that his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, as chief negotiator. He got pro- settlement, Amb Friedman installed and appointed Greenblatt, an orthodox Jew, his peace emissary. Then promptly undermined them and his original platform. He appointed Rex Tillerson, a proponent of the two-state solution, as his Secretary of State. He left in office Obama appointees who had key roles in Obama’s policies re the peace process and the Iran deal. And he himself has doubled down on trying to get a peace agreement.
3. He failed to move the US Embassy to Jerusalem as he promised.
4. After arduous negotiations, he entered a secret understanding with Netanyahnu to limit settlement construction to an undisclosed number and to agree to not annex land from Area C. He further got Netanyahu to offer, as yet undisclosed gestures, to the Palestinians.
5. He condemned the Iran deal in the strongest terms and swore to contain In’s quest for hegemony. To this end he has done little so far. He also indicated that he wouldn’t set aside the Deal but would enforce it. No small thing.
6. He wanted to negotiate a solution to Syria, particularly with Putin, but little has been accomplished. To be fair, this is a work in progress. The Chemical attack has made it an urgency.
7. Last I heard, he decided not to outlaw the Muslim Brotherhood. Big disappointment.
So what is going on? Did Trump switch gears because he was not really committed or because he was forced to do so to get support from Congress, the State Department and the Pentagon?
At least he appears to be on track to prevent the UN from bashing Israel. No small thing.