Metal detectors will remain on Temple Mount

Political-Security Cabinet decides that magnetometers will remain at the entrance to the Temple Mount, reiterates commitment to status quo.

By Elad Benari, INN

The Political-Security Cabinet decided on Thursday night, after a four-hour meeting, that the magnetometers will remain at the entrance to the Temple Mount as part of the new security measures at the compound.

The Cabinet also authorized the police to make every decision “in order to ensure free access to the holy places, while maintaining security and public order” on the Temple Mount.

“Israel is committed to maintaining the status quo on the Temple Mount and the freedom of access to the holy sites. Israel is committed to protecting the safety of all worshipers and visitors to the Temple Mount,” said a statement.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Thursday evening held a consultation at his office in Tel Aviv to discuss the tension at the Temple Mount.

Netanyahu convened the Cabinet immediately following the consultation in order to discuss Israel’s options before Friday’s Muslim prayers at the compound.

Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan told Channel 2 News in an interview that the metal detectors must remain on the Temple Mount because “the security interest in preventing future attacks in the wake of a desire to imitate what happened [last week] has to prevail.”

“We must continue to install them (the metal detectors) on all roads to the Temple Mount. If the Shin Bet is opposed to the security measures, then it should offer alternatives, and that did not happen.”

Israel decided to place magnetometers (advanced metal detectors which are selective in which metals they react to) and additional security cameras around the entrances to the holy site following last Friday’s terrorist attack at the complex, in which two Druze policemen were murdered.

These security measures prompted an outcry from the Palestinian Authoritythe Jordanian Waqf and the Jordanian government, which demanded a return to the status quo. In addition, Arab rioters attacked security forces and civilian cars in eastern Jerusalem, injuring two police officers and at least one Jewish civilian on Wednesday alone.

July 21, 2017 | 2 Comments » | 326 views

Subscribe to Israpundit Daily Digest

2 Comments / 2 Comments

  1. Law & order is the exclusive responsibility of IL. Pal unhappy should either leave or get kicked out with their families.
    The Islamists provocation is an attempt to derail Trump efforts to force Pal to sit and compromise.

  2. Israel consented to the status quo which discriminates against Jews in exchange for peace. Is this peace? The absence of formal hostilities between Jordan and Israel rests on the fear of Israeli might not treaties. Treaties with Muslims aren’t worth the paper they are writtten on, especially treaties with Arabs. Any limited intelligence cooperation has to do with common enemies. Israel should not feel bound by any agreements already violated by the other side. The closest thing to peace that can be obtained can only be obtained by flexing muscle and showing them who’s boss. They will back down if push comes to shove. That’s the only way they will back off at all. Abbas suspends all contact with Israel? Fine. Seal the border, cut off the electricity and water. Make it clear that only Abbas can reverse that by humbling himself before us. If judges make problems, arrest them, the way Lincoln did.

Leave a Reply