AJC’s survey of 1,040 American Jews was conducted by GfK, September 6 – 17, 2012. Margin of error is plus or minus five percent. AJC is a 501(c)(3) organization that neither supports nor opposes candidates for elected office. Conducted annually since 1990, AJC surveys often are cited as an authoritative barometer of American Jewish opinion on a range of issues.
1. Where would you place yourself on this scale?
|Moderate, middle of the road||33.9%|
2. In politics today, do you consider yourself a Republican, a Democrat or an Independent?
3. If the presidential election was being held today, for whom would you most likely vote?
4. Do you approve or disapprove of President Obama’s selection of Joseph Biden as his vice-presidential running mate?
5. Do you approve or disapprove of Mitt Romney’s selection of Paul Ryan as his vice-presidential running mate?
6. How important to you is the choice of the vice-presidential running mate in deciding who you will vote in the 2012 presidential election?
|Not too important||25.5%|
|Not at all important||7.8%|
7A. Among the following list of choices, what is the most important issue to you in deciding how you will vote in the 2012 presidential election?
|Iran’s Nuclear Program||1.3%|
7B. Among the following list of choices, what is the second most important issue to you in deciding how you will vote in the 2012 presidential election?
|Iran’s Nuclear Program||1.4%|
7C. Among the following list of choices, what is the third most important issue to you in deciding how you will vote in the 2012 presidential election?
|Iran’s Nuclear Program||4.7%|
8A. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling National Security?
8B. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling the Economy?
8C. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Health Care?
8D. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling U.S.-Israel Relations?
8E. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Immigration?
8F. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Energy Security?
8G. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Taxes?
8H. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Social Security?
8I. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Iran’s Nuclear Program?
8J. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Church-State Issues?
8K. Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Obama is handling Abortion?
9. Do you think the Republican or Democratic Party is more likely to make the right decision in dealing with the following:
Iran’s Nuclear Program:
10. What is your opinion of the way the Israeli government led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is handling the U.S.-Israel relationship?
11. How concerned are you about the prospect of Iran obtaining nuclear weapons?
|Not too concerned||10.1%|
|Not concerned at all||2.1%|
12. How likely do you think it is that a combination of diplomacy and sanctions can stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons?
13. If diplomacy and sanctions fail, would you support or oppose the United States taking military action against Iran to prevent it from developing nuclear weapons?
14. If diplomacy and sanctions fail, would you support or oppose Israel taking military action against Iran to prevent it from developing nuclear weapons?
15. Compared to one year ago, do you think prospects for Arab-Israeli peace have increased, decreased, or stayed the same?
|Stayed the same||55%|
15A. Who do you think is mostly to blame for the failure to achieve an Arab-Israeli peace?
|The Israelis and the Palestinians are equally to blame||43.4%|
16. Do you think of yourself as…
17. How important is being Jewish in your own life?
|Not too important||16.7%|
|Not at all important||14.3%|
18. Aside from special occasions such as weddings and Bar Mitzvahs, how often do you attend services at a Jewish temple or synagogue?
|More than once a week||4.0%|
|Once a week||10.3%|
|Once or twice a month||11.8%|
|A few times a year||25.7%|
|Once a year or less||14.9%|
19. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: Caring about Israel is a very important part of my being a Jew.
Date: 9/27/2012 12:00:00 AM