Today I am live blogging from the conference of the WJC.
– futher redeployment is req’t of Oslo
– spose to be up to Israel
– US wanted a second redeployment of 35%.
– politics and diplomacy came before security early on
– Netanyahu reversed this now. Security first.
– the Arabs are now concerned about Iran and not Israel
– Dore says this is a rare opportunity for Israel
– in Washington Israel will discuss security first
Maj Gen Uzi Dayan
– not only a territorial one.
– land for peace doesn’t work
– the more you give, the more they demand
– must change the policy, diplomacy based security, to security based diplomacy
– i.e. defensible borders come first and is a national right and provided in Res 242 and the Bush letter
– what are those borders?
– borders must provide 1) enough area for Israel to conduct defense from conventional attacks from east – Jordan Valley 2) must enable strategic defense to protect from missles and 3) demilitarize Palestine
– Thus Jordan River must be our defensible border
Brig Gen Udi Dekel
– What does demilitarized mean
– only way to fight terror is to dismantle terrorist infrastructure.
– keep them on a short lease or they will get away from you
– two kinds of threats – terror and military – inside and out
– peace doesn’t bring security, security brings peace
– a viable state they say is sovereign and contiguous. we disagree. It also means accountability
– We must be on the Jordan and an international force must be in Palestine to make sure that the Palestinians are accountable.
Maj Gen Yaacov Amidror
– he is responsible for Israel intelligence gathering
– from the start, Israel decided to defend itself. Europe decided to be defended by the US- quite a difference
– international forces are useless- worse than useless, they get in the way
– the mission of UNIFIL is to defend themselves – that’s it
Ron Lauder asked what happens when the PA doesn’t live by its agreement and the panel says that we have to minimize risks as much as possible and then take the chance. If the PA subsequently violates we will have to deal with it then,
I asked why Israel is ignoring its rights and putting security front and center. If we get all we want security wise, are we prepared for ’67 borders subject to mutual exchanges? The answers were very unsettling. Amidror said that many in Israel don’t want to favour our “ideological” rights if this means we remain as occupiers.
Deligitimation of Israel
Prof Gerald Steinberg
– our detractors don’t care if they win their courtcases against us or get a boycott against us and break the blockade etc. But all these activities give them the opportunity and publicty to deligitimate and demonize us. that’s what it is all abou.
– “we are winning this battle. We are deligitimating the deligitimators.”
– we have started the research that enables us to challenge the detractors.
– the NGO’s get hundreds of millions of dollars from the EU and the Arab League. We are successfully exposing them
– we must fight it because it is a danger to us
– we must be critical of Islam i.e. deligitimate Isdlam
– Italy built institutions like Commission against Antisemitism
– generaly government institutions
– we must pass laws.
– Israel must lead
– she has a website
Brig Gen Yossi Kuperwasser
– the world was always against us since the Mandate.
– we must protect ourselves from deligitimation, growth of Islamic forces in the region
– the Palestinian narrative is the dominant narrative
– third challenge is the way the US and our friends are going
– The PA narrative undermines our peoplehood. Zionism is the Jewish national liberation movement. It is about our identity. i.e not a people
– we claim the moral high ground. the Palestinian narrative undermines us.
– they prevent us from being sovereign. They require us to go to international tribunals
– This is more than about Israel , it is about our Jewish identity as a Jewish people.
– We must build an organization to lead this battle
– we must develope a plan
– we must be proactive to defend our legitimacy.
THIS WAS A GREAT PANEL. VERY UPLIFTING.
The information came quickly. I did my best to get it down. I missed some stuff.