Two state goal ‘too narrow’ says Ayalon
The US envoy is still trying to bridge wide gaps between Israel and the Palestinians regarding the timetable for the indirect talks, as well as the agenda of those talks.
[..] While the Palestinians want to begin the Mitchell-mediated discussions by talking about borders, Israel wants the talks to focus on security arrangements of a future Palestinian state. Among the security-related issues Israel wants to discuss are the following:
• How to guarantee that the future Palestinian state will be demilitarized.
• How Israel will monitor the eastern border of a future Palestinian state to ensure that weapons are not smuggled in.
• How to come to an agreement regarding Israel’s right to use the airspace over the future Palestinian state.
• How to find a mechanism that would enable Israel to pursue terrorists across the border in the event of a terrorist attack.
• How to ensure Israeli monitoring and surveillance stations will be established in the new state, at least for the first few years.