Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Updated August 26, 2020
- Daily Updates of Totals by Week and State
- Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics
- Health Disparities: Race and Hispanic Origin
- Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19
- Index of Available Data Files
- Technical Notes
Estimates of excess deaths can provide information about the burden of mortality potentially related to the COVID-19 pandemic, including deaths that are directly or indirectly attributed to COVID-19. Excess deaths are typically defined as the difference between the observed numbers of deaths in specific time periods and expected numbers of deaths in the same time periods. This visualization provides weekly estimates of excess deaths by the jurisdiction in which the death occurred. Weekly counts of deaths are compared with historical trends to determine whether the number of deaths is significantly higher than expected.